Sustainability is one of the pillars of &HER, and we are taking action to support this year's Earth Day "Invest in Our Planet." For April, Earth Month, we have partnered with the Bra Recyclers and a few NY-based shops for people to recycle/donate their bras and get a 20% promotion for future &HER purchases.
- Less than 1% of clothing is recycled.
- The fashion industry produces 150 billion garments a year and 87% (40 million tons) end up in a landfill where they smolder and pollute the air.
- The apparel industry is responsible for 40% of greenhouse gas emissions - the same as the countries of Germany, France, and the U.K. combined. Unchecked, fashion production would account for 26% of all carbon emissions by 2050.
- The average American throws away 81 pounds of clothing per year.
- Most bras and sports bras are made in synthetic textiles that will take 20 to 100 years to decompose.
Test your knowledge on Fashion Sustainability, take a QUIZ.
To Donate in Person
In April, we partnered with NY-based shops which share similar sustainability goals. These partners have generously offered their locations to take in bras and sports bras donations. We will collect all donation at the end of April and ship them to the Bra Recyclers.
Here are the locations :
Follow the Instruction
To Mail in Your Donation.
Please note that the mailing label is not pre-paid postage but is used to scan the package when it arrives at the bra recycler's warehouse. You will need to pay the postage to ship your bras. The Bra Recyclers pay for the postage to ship to nonprofit organizations.
Thank you for recycling your bras and sports bras. Besides the substantial social impacts on women and girls escaping domestic violence and human trafficking, you are helping reduce your carbon footprint. Check out the impact of throwing away just 1 pound of bras (approximately 7 bras):
What Happens to Your Donation?
Check out the Bra Recyclers and their impact.